Melissa, Geoff and Mina

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mina's home coming

Mina had jaundice so she had to be under the lights for 38 hours. She had to wear the little "goggles" to protect her eyes, and as you can see she didn't like it! We could only take her out for about a half hour at a time and then she had to go back under the lights. There was also a light under her, the cover of which got all poopy as Geoff and I tried to clean her first muconium (sp?) diaper. She just kept pooping! As soon as I'd clean her up more would squirt out on the new diaper. We went through 4 diapers, got poop all over her, our hands, the light underneath her. Phew! She was breaking us in! Actually, none of her poops since then have been that bad, thank goodness! I'm sure you parents out there are saying, "just wait!"



They gave me a band so I could get the baby out of the nursery also, so here are the three girls with our arm bands.
Beautiful Maria. She dressed Mina, carried her down in the wheel chair and helped Geoff put her in her car seat. I sobbed again as I hugged her good-bye. She had just given birth but wasn't going home with the baby. She is an amazing woman. We all met the next day, Saturday, and she signed the papers that terminated her rights. We then went to her house and introduced Mina to her brothers and sisters. I know this has been hard for Maria, but that she knows she made the right decision. This is a completely open adoption and we'll be seeing a lot of her and her family which I know will make this easier on her.
Jacob giving Mina kisses. So cute! Both Sierra and Jake love her already, though Jake kept calling her Ethan at first. Aren't all babies Ethan? Speaking of Ethan, he's more than twice her size! He has grown so quickly and Mina is only 6 lbs 9 oz. Ethan was 9 pounds when he was born!
Mina has been sleeping in the clothes basket by our bed since we don't have a crib yet, and it has actually worked out pretty well. Yep, sleepless nights! though she is sleeping up to 3 hours at a time. Geoff has this week off work and has been helping a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!! love the laundry basket! congrats, I;m just so happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when is the baby shower? :o) Really, let me know! I would love to try and come, and if not, I will get something to you! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute baby. You both look so happy. Love the main picture - it's a favorite.

    ReplyDelete